Tuesday, 16 July 2013

iPhone 5 kills Chinese woman

Apple said to be helping police enquiry into freak i-ccident
A Chinese woman was killed by receiving an electric shock from her iPhone 5 after answering it whilst it was charging. Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old former flight attendant from China's Xinjiang region was electrocuted last Thursday when she took a call on the Apple device just after getting out of the bath.
iPhone ‘explodes’ on a plane
If reports of the incident are accurate it could suggest that there was a fault with either the charging unit or its connection cable. According to sina.english.com, the iPhone 5 was purchased from an official Apple store last December and was being charged using the original charger.
Exploding iPhone caught on video in Finland

Apple has refused to comment on specific details of the death but said it will cooperate with authorities in any investigations.

'We are deeply saddened to hear of this tragic incident and offer our deepest condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter,' Apple said in a statement released today.

Possible reasons given for the fatal malfunction include that of Xingiang's extreme temperatures during the summer months. The heat could potentially cause overloads and electrical insulation failures, although whether it was a contributing factor in this incident is as yet unknown.

Another theory suggests that a fault with the charging unit could have meant that it was unearthed, sending a potentially lethal current of 200mA through the victim.

No comments:

Post a Comment